nyone knows where the fast groove is going to be, h | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
LAM
LAM Apr 16

NEW YORK -- Tim Hudson took a shutout into the eighth inning before getting spiked at first base and carted off the field with a broken ankle during the Atlanta Braves 8-2 victory over the New York Mets on Wednesday night. Jamaal Williams Jersey . Evan Gattis, Dan Uggla and Andrelton Simmons all homered off an ineffective Jeremy Hefner to help the Braves bats break loose after scoring only four runs in their previous three games. But the nasty-looking injury to Hudson is a huge concern, leaving the NL East leaders without a veteran winner who was on a roll. Hudson (8-7) was working on a four-hitter when Eric Young Jr. hit a grounder that was knocked down by Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman. Hudson took Freemans toss at the bag just before Young arrived, and the speedy outfielder stepped on the back of Hudsons lower right leg, near his Achilles, driving the pitchers right ankle awkwardly into the ground. Hudson immediately went down in obvious pain, and Young rushed over to check on him. The crowd at Citi Field groaned when the replay was shown on the big video board. Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez and a trainer rushed out to aid Hudson, who took off his cap and held his shaved head in his hands. EMS workers finally strapped the right-hander to a backboard and drove him off the field on a cart as fans applauded. Young remained nearby throughout the entire delay, which lasted almost 10 minutes, and shook Hudsons hand before he was carted away. Hudson nodded back at him. The 38-year-old Hudson won his fourth straight start, striking out nine in 7 2-3 innings. Luis Avilan replaced him and gave up a two-run double to Daniel Murphy, who made two errors at second base. Hudson had X-rays at Citi Field, and the Braves say he will undergo surgery in Atlanta once the swelling goes down. Its unclear how long Hudson will be out or whether hell be able to pitch again this season. Hefner (4-8) compiled a 1.76 ERA in his final eight starts before the All-Star break, the best mark in the majors during that span. But he was tagged for a career-worst eight runs and 10 hits in two-plus innings last Friday against Philadelphia, a personal nemesis throughout his two-year career. The right-hander wasnt much better against Atlanta, allowing a career-high three homers in 4 1-3 innings. All of them were no-doubters, too. Gattis hit a solo shot into the second deck in left field in the second inning, his first home run since June 10 in San Diego. Despite spending 24 games on the disabled list with a strained muscle on his right side, he leads major league rookies -- by a wide margin -- with 15 homers and 39 RBIs. Brian McCann reached on an error to start the fifth when Murphy, playing deep on the outfield grass, bobbled an attempted backhand. Gattis singled and Uggla drove the next pitch to left for his 20th home run. Chris Johnson singled and, one out later, Simmons teed off on a 2-2 breaking ball to make it 6-0. Simmons also hit a leadoff homer Tuesday night for Atlantas only run. Wearing orange jerseys with Los Mets written across the chest, the Mets could hardly get out of their own way. When star slugger David Wright broke his bat on a double-play grounder in the fourth, the barrel buggy-whipped around on his follow through and hit him in the back of the neck. Wright barely got out of the box before stopping in his tracks and bending over in pain. New York manager Terry Collins and a trainer came out to check on Wright in a moment of genuine concern, but he cracked a sheepish smile while rubbing his head as he walked back to the dugout. NOTES: Braves RHP Brandon Beachy, recovering from Tommy John surgery in June 2012, was set to make another rehab start Wednesday night for Triple-A Gwinnett. With LHP Paul Maholm (bruised left wrist) about to go on the 15-day disabled list Thursday, Beachy could be back in the rotation soon. ... Rookie left-hander Alex Wood will be called up to start the series finale Thursday in Maholms place. The 22-year-old Wood (0-2, 2.45 ERA) has made 16 major league appearances but only one start, when he lasted three innings in a June 18 loss to the Mets. He has since been stretched out in the minors, and manager Gonzalez said Wood could be pushed to about 90 pitches Thursday. ... Gonzalez said Maholm will make a minor league rehab start before returning from the DL. ... RHP Zack Wheeler (3-1, 3.58) pitches for New York on Thursday. The prized rookie threw six shutout innings at Atlanta to win his big league debut June 18. ... Mets OF Lucas Duda (ribcage) and catching prospect Travis dArnaud (foot) began their rehab assignments in the rookie level Gulf Coast League. Duda will play left field and first base during his rehab stint, Collins said. ... LHP Jonathon Niese (shoulder) should begin a rehab assignment in the GCL no later than next week, Collins said. ... Reserve infielder Justin Turner will make his first start Thursday since coming off the disabled list, Collins said. Don Barclay Jersey . "I dont know that were close," said general manager Alex Anthopoulos. "I just think, right now, the acquisition cost just doesnt work for us right now. I dont know if I can quantify how far off or things like that that they might be but I would say we continue to have dialogue. Kenny Clark Jersey . The Oilers come in having lost five in a row (0-4-1) and 16 of their last 20 games, dropping a 2-1 decision to the Vancouver Canucks on Tuesday. http:///...y-Nick-Perry-Jersey/ .Y. -- Paul Byron and Matt Stajan scored as the Calgary Flames started a five-game road trip with a 2-1 overtime win over the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday afternoon. BRISTOL, Tenn. -- Break time is over.With four races left in the Sprint Cup regular season, the push for NASCARs playoffs revs up at Bristol Motor Speedway with the Bass Pro Shops NRA Night Race on Saturday night.Sprint Cup drivers got a final week off last weekend and now race uninterrupted through the season-ender in Florida on Nov. 20. The immediate concern for most of those in the garage is making the 16-team Chase field -- either insiders shoring up a dicey spot on the end of the grid or outsiders making a last-ditch charge to get in.During the off weekend, I spent a lot of much-needed time with my family, six-time Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson said. I feel like the battery is charged and ready to go for the final stretch of the regular season and then the most important part of the year for us.Johnson, with two victories this season, is among 10 drivers locked into the Chase. Many others are less certain about their chances.I think we have to be aggressive, said Austin Dillon, who would make his first playoff appearance at No. 13 right now. Any time you start playing defense and start playing that game, it seems to hurt you.Dillon and his Richard Childress Racing team cant afford to sit back. He is only 47 points in front of Trevor Bayne, the first driver out at No. 17. And there are the issues of race winners Tony Stewart and Chris Buescher.Three-time series champion Stewart missed the first eight races this season recovering from back surgery and received a playoff waiver from NASCAR if he qualified. He won at Sonoma in June and, at 26th in the standings (race winners must also be among the top 30 in points), has a provisional, and likely, playoff spot.Buescher, last years Xfinity Series champion, won a rain-shortened race at Pocono last month, but is currently three points short of the cutoff.Its time to go out there and get every pooint we can get every time were out on the track, Buescher said. Davante Adams Jersey. And from there, well just let it play out.If Buescher succeeds, thats one fewer spot for more familiar contenders -- something all of them are painfully aware of.I know Im in the Chase right now, but I havent viewed that way since (Buescher) won, said Kyle Larson, currently 16th in points and the first left out if Buescher gets in.The other drivers in on points alone right now are Ryan Newman in 11th, then Chase Elliott, Dillon, Jamie McMurray and Larson. The regular season concludes after Bristol with races at Michigan on Aug. 28, Darlington on Sept. 4 and Richmond on Sept. 10.Expect some hard-charging, risk-taking racing the next few weeks, starting at the always tricky half-mile Bristol layout. Following the Food City 500 in April, track officials coated part of the racing surface with a compound designed to entice racers to use the traditional, bottom-groove line as the quickest way to get around.Carl Edwards, who won Bristols spring race, said practice sessions for the summer event did not answer many questions about the best place to run.I dont know if anyone knows where the fast groove is going to be, he said.Edwards is among the fortunate 10 whove combined wins with consistent performances and wont bite their nails worrying about Saturday night.Edwards said his fourth career Bristol victory gave his team the opportunity to try different setups and techniques that might be useful when the Chase starts at Chicagoland Speedway on Sept. 18. It also allows Edwards to get creative, knowing a mistake or two wont end his season on the outside.For us guys that have wins, we just get to go try everything, Edwards said. And thats a fun way to race. Wholesale Authentic Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Cheap Jerseys 2018 Cheap Nike NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys 2020 Jerseys From China ' ' ' 

Share: